About

Who We Are?

Stella Maris College was founded in 1948 by the Holy Ghost congregation of “Roman Catholic Mission”. Its original site was at St. Mary’s Catholic Church premises, Aggrey Road, Port Harcourt. Later in October 1948, the college was transferred to its present site; No. 34 Harbour Road, Port Harcourt. From its inception, the college was run successfully by the Holy Ghost Reverend Fathers.

The college remained synonymous with excellence; academically, morally and socially until early 70s when the Federal Government of Nigeria took over all mission schools and colleges.

Somewhere along the line, due to gross indiscipline, academic and moral decadence, coupled with pressure from the church, the Government saw the need to return the mission schools and colleges to their original owners, the Catholic mission and other missions.

So far, some state governors have satisfactorily returned the mission schools. Here in Rivers State, the church is quite grateful to the Governors of Rivers State that made the return of mission schools possible. Dr. Peter Odili brought this dream to its logical conclusion with Rt. Hon. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi as speaker of Rivers state House of Assembly when the bill for the return of mission schools was signed into law. (State: Education {Return of schools} Law No. 1, 2005)

Thanks to the Catholic Education Board members headed by its director, Very Rev. Msgnr. Dr. Charles C. Agu. The board members were the sacred instruments used to fight the good fight for the return of the schools. Today, Stella Maris College is once again, a well-staffed Model Boys Boarding College, Offering all round Catholic Education for boys only.

By God’s special grace, our students shall become good citizens of Nigeria and global figures wherever they are found.